Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Bouddhanath Stupa, Kathmandu, Nepal - June 2015



Bouddhanath Stupa is a Buddhist Stupa (a hemispherical structure containing relics, mostly Buddhist relics), one of the largest in the world. I didn’t get to see the real deal as you can see from the picture below - it was surrounded by wooden scaffolding following the Gorkha earthquake, mainly to protect it from collapsing I guess.


But it's steeped in history, right? And on the bright side - I'm told it's overflowing with tourists otherwise! Our leisurely walk would have been impossible in a hundred years. It was dirty as usual though. It's a UNESCO heritage sight! … As our most of the tourist sites here. Entry was free and then a friend suggested we go to one of the rooftop restaurants to get a better view. we did  in fact get a better view but at the cost of NPRs 250 for a drink! again on the bright side - it was a mint lemonade drink and it was refreshing and rehydrating on a heatstroke inducing scorchingly sunny afternoon :)

And in case you need underwear, it's sold right opposite the Stupa!


To remind myself of what I missed, I made a sketch of the Stupa without the scaffolding :)


No comments: